You change lanes in the following way:
- Check distances ahead and adapt your speed.
- Check your rear-view mirror, side mirrors and your vehicle's blind spot*.
- Indicate and wait a short while to see how other road users react.
- Check your vehicle's blind spot.
- Change lanes calmly but steadily, without any sudden steering wheel movements.
- Increase your speed a little if vehicles behind you are too close.
The blind spot is the area not covered by any mirror. You check the blind spot by briefly glancing over your shoulder (in the direction you are moving the car).