How do you pass a rider on horseback in the most appropriate way?
Horses scare easily and that the riders are often young people with little traffic experience.
Consider the following when passing a rider on horseback:
- Avoid using the horn, playing loud music or creating unnecessary engine noise.
- Avoid using full beam headlights.
- Pass at an appropriate speed and with plenty of sideways clearance.
- Try to make eye contact with the rider or person leading the horse.
- Accelerate gently after passing.