You can affect the car's fuel consumption in a number of ways. By learning how to drive economically, you can reduce your car's fuel consumption by 10-20%.
In short, driving economically means that you should:
- Upshift gears early and skip gears.
- Accelerate firmly and drive in the highest possible gear.
- Avoid engine speeds above 3,000 rpm.
- Avoid excessive speed.
- Maintain a steady throttle.
- Engine brake whenever possible.
- Plan your driving.
- Avoid unnecessary braking and stopping.
- Roll downhill without accelerating and maintain a steady speed uphill.