In order for a vehicle's engine to work, it needs engine oil. Engine oil has a variety of functions:
- It lubricates the engine, meaning it reduces friction between the engine's components.
- It cools the engine by removing heat generated by friction and combustion.
- It protects engine components against corrosion (rust).
- It reduces vibration and engine noise.
- It cleans the engine by removing debris, dust and other contaminants.
It is very important that the engine has enough oil to function correctly. Make a habit of checking the engine oil level regularly using the vehicle's oil dipstick and top up if necessary.